What are best practices for a Development Environment
Hi,

We now want to setup a development environment to test out changes before applying them to our live data. Changes will include things like SP installs, using new Web Parts, developing workflows, etc.

We made a backup of our current database, built a machine in our Lab domain that runs SQL and SP 2010 and restored our database. This all went well. We started going into the SHarePoint site in the Lab and found that all of the permissions for the subsites and lists reference our live domain.

My question is, does there exist some sort of best practices for setting up a copy of a production site in a lab environment for development? How do we handle things like accounts? While an answer would be nice, a pointer to an existing article would be better.

I had considered setting a one way trust up between our lab and our production domain but I really want to see what's recommended in this situation before doing that.

For More Details

animated video explainer

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A Detailed Checklist for WordPress Website Development hostitsmart 0 722 05-27-2022, 11:01 AM
Last Post: hostitsmart
  DOMAIN DEVELOPMENT Williamhawk 1 2,292 03-09-2018, 04:57 AM
Last Post: Laxmi123
  SP2013 app domain configuration in development environment Williamhawk 0 1,700 12-27-2017, 05:38 AM
Last Post: Williamhawk
  DOMAIN DEVELOPMENT? Williamhawk 0 1,671 10-25-2017, 01:17 PM
Last Post: Williamhawk
  urlshopping.com (development) eMilan 2 4,002 12-06-2006, 07:54 AM
Last Post: penguinmama