What's the real different or effect of NS1, NS2, NS3...etc??
Hi, just have this question that seems too common to ask :- What's is really the diferent or real effect of having NS1, NS2, NS3..etc? Well, some host even goes to the extend of having NS6 isn't it??

What do these NS really contribute?? I mean..isn't that a single NS is sufficient to host a site??
i am not familiar with name server architecture, but i guess each name server should be able to host up to 65,000 domains each?

having more nameservers is a form of load-balancing i think, rather than having everything reside on one server only.
llegent Wrote:Hi, just have this question that seems too common to ask :- What's is really the diferent or real effect of having NS1, NS2, NS3..etc? Well, some host even goes to the extend of having NS6 isn't it??

What do these NS really contribute?? I mean..isn't that a single NS is sufficient to host a site??

I would like to know this as well. It helps to understand the make up.
It never hurts to learn something new. I'll like to know too....
Yeah it is all about load balancing. I actually used to own an ISP a very long time ago and managed all the servers. You simply have multiple servers so if one goes down lookups don't go away.

What you will also find in a lot of cases is people will roundrobin multiple servers behind those ips as well, so each NSx. designation will have multiple servers behind it. Especially for larger providers.
Oh yeah.. the thing with DNS is it is a very low load server, so you get away with redundant servers because they don't need to be that robust. You can sometimes run back up servers as a secondary function on hosts doing something else.
NS is just abbreviation for nameserver
it's been a generic term used for nameservers these days. however you can even have custom ones set, like server1.example.com srvr3.example.com and so on

and multiple nameservers can be useful as in this case:

assume site is added into two servers (server1 and server 2)

ns1.example.com links to server1
and ns2.example.com links to server2

and by some reason, your server1 is not responding or is restarting, then it'll try to reach the server2, and hurray your site wont go offline, or you can leave a regret message for site on server2.

that's just an example. please correct if i am wrong.
Wow what everyone said was a lot right there. I don't know about NS's at all Big Grin. I usually just put them in to my host and go! Smile So each one works as back-ups for the first or what?
nameservers are just reference where the domain shall get data from (servers).

not specifically backups. but maybe load balancing, or something like site offline page on another server.

nameservers link to IP addresses of servers in concern, and it happens blahhhhhhhhhhh
the purpose of nameservers is just to resolve the domain alias and route it to hosting server where it can find data, using multiple dns means to allow mutiple servers or IP's to resolve the alias in case one can't do the job, second will do or vise virsa. but remember resolve domain alias doesnt mean that your site will browse successfully on clients computer, if your hosting server is down then dns can't do anything.
Am I right boys?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Identifying reseller or real host? llegent 10 7,683 03-09-2016, 06:15 PM
Last Post: Misti