What to do with a great name domain?
Hello all of you!
I've been working with a woman who is developing an online magazine. We had a session of brainstorming to find the perfect name for the site, and I came up with it and well, "gave it" to her. She also shared it with another guy she was working with, they had some differences and he went and register the domain himself.
Was I an idiot for giving her the name instead of buying it myself and then sell it to her? It was a really good name!
Now we got again into another brainstorming, and I gave her a few ideas again. Of course, nothing like that original one, but I still think is pretty good. My partner insists that I'm an idiot for not getting into what this website is really all about!
But I believe that is the ethical thing not to just give her the name and then register right away so she'll have to pay me for it! I belive that my relationship with her is more important and definatly more proffitable for me as a writer than as a domain owner!
If you were in this situation, what would you do?
And I'm sorry this became such a long post!
I wouldnt give it like that. I would first register it and then only tell anyone else
I would be pissed at your friend for sharing the name before registering it. She got what she deserved. But as for you... you gave your friend the help. You shouldn't be upset too much after a while. Just talk with her, and say that what she did wasn't the brightest thing to do, and that in the future, you (two) should register the name before sharing it with others.

That's what I do. I brainstorm with a friend of mine a lot. He gives me a topic and one key word, and I give him a couple of hundred domain names that are not registered. (thanks to pcnames.com) Just recently, he came up with a favorite, I came with a favorite, and his wife came up with one. So he registered all three and is developing the one his wife suggested. (It will be her site) but the other domains point there.

Should I have "sold" him my list of unprocured names? Probably. But he's my friend, and the perks I get elsewhere.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why is a good domain name important? Eva520 11 7,714 02-20-2024, 05:53 AM
Last Post: manoharparakh
  Why are domain names important? Williamhawk 3 5,610 01-13-2022, 07:07 AM
Last Post: harry_v
  Deciding on a domain name Shortie861 7 4,517 01-05-2022, 07:07 AM
Last Post: harry_v
  There are great savings every day online and beside these chitianshi520 0 1,217 01-30-2019, 02:09 AM
Last Post: chitianshi520
  Unusual Windows AD Domain Issue JesseVoss 0 1,725 05-15-2018, 01:23 PM
Last Post: JesseVoss
  Domain change issues Rayancaleb 0 2,231 04-11-2018, 07:49 AM
Last Post: Rayancaleb
  Problems with domain transfer Rayancaleb 0 2,018 04-11-2018, 07:48 AM
  Windows 10 issues after joining a domain Rayancaleb 0 2,098 02-24-2018, 10:48 AM
  Moving Domain Mail Issues Williamhawk 0 1,846 02-01-2018, 12:45 PM
Last Post: Williamhawk
  SSL/TLS Domain Issue Williamhawk 0 1,971 02-01-2018, 12:42 PM
Last Post: Williamhawk