Domain Social Forums

Full Version: Will it drive you less traffic?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Well as I can see nowadays the .com seemed to take over the market and most people are more likely to write in .com into their browser, so but let's say that you planned about a name for your company and you are going to register the .com domain, because it is the most famous, but then you find out that the .com domain has already been taken, what would you do? Change the name of the company? or simply register .net or .org or something else? if you decide to instead making a .net or so, would that mean that you will receive less hits and less traffic? or you think that it won't make any difference?
.com, .net, .org are all the big ones..once you go away from these the value of the site seems to depreciate..why ? I don't know..seems peoople trust the three I mentioned
The three are top level domains so people tend to trust it more than the others. I personally registered a .net and .org domain. I would never register a .info domain.
Well I prefer .com domains, and like you said I would never register a .info, perhaps I .net will be good too, not sure about the .org.
For me it will all depend on how much I like the domain name. If I am too attached to it, then I will get a .net or .org, and try to make my content more driven and filled with keywords to attract more traffic. But if I'm not totally set with the name, then I would probably change it to something available in .com, precisely because .com is soooo much popular. But, I am really not an expert, it is just my humble opinion!
I agreed, and I would also choose org and net as a good alternative. People do trust those two I mentioned as they would with the com.
Yeah in fact I know some people that registered a .net even though the .com was available, I thought that they were insane to do so, but well at a certain extent I agree with you both, perhaps .net would be famous too.
first i would go for cctld for that name and even if it not available then will go for .net or .biz
this is true because most people just type the name and press ctrl + enter for browsing which means .com
you can loose traffic if you are dealing with highly competetive market such as internet marting or selling nokia mobiles etc. but it doesnt matter if your company has some specific area of operation.
Isn't it funny how the domain extension went from being for organization purposes to whichever people type in the most. Originally they were meant to seperate sites.

.com for commercial sites.
.net for network, eg. forums.
.org for organization.
Pages: 1 2