Scams with Paypal??
Even when they catch those people they almost never prosecute them. Maybe if they did, and if there were sanctions against nations that refused to do anything about it, it would change.
I read an article recently about an ENTIRE TOWN of people in Romania that were ebay scammers.....and these people had become quite wealthy off this venture. The local authorities look the other way and it and the US can't do anything.
RFL1986 Wrote:I think the email address for scams is something like spoofs@paypal.ca but I know it's up on their website somewhere if you take a look. It concerns me to think of how many people get caught by phishers but the best thing we can do is be cautious ourselves and 'out' phishers when we find them.

The email address in my address box is spoof@paypal.com . I think that's the one that I've used and received response from.

Is there a paypal.ca?
I have the spoof@paypal.com addy in my box as well. I've used it many times but it doesn't seem to have slowed the scammers down a bit.
tater03 Wrote:That is awful that they don't pursue prosecution. I mean why would they stop then if nothing is going to happen to them?

The thing is, they are only a threat to people that don't know how things work on the net, and therefore fall for those scams. But for people that are more into the net, we kinda know when someone is trying to scam us... But for example illegal downloading is a crime that can be sustained with evidence, so the prosecution is more directed to those crimes. At least that's what I think.
I don't think they take the time to target any particular group. They send out emails enmasse, changing the financial institution they are phishing. I think they are playing the law of averages.

If they send out enough of those emails, eventually someone will give out the information wanted!
Yeah there is an Paypal.ca but it's the exact same site just with Canadian servers. Sorry, I just typed that one in by default. I think a lot of fighting phishers almost has to come from the community taking care of itself as well. Even if prosecution doesn't happen directly at least others will know about scammers if they notify others at work in the same field.
RFL1986 Wrote:Yeah there is an Paypal.ca but it's the exact same site just with Canadian servers. Sorry, I just typed that one in by default. I think a lot of fighting phishers almost has to come from the community taking care of itself as well. Even if prosecution doesn't happen directly at least others will know about scammers if they notify others at work in the same field.

Spreading the word and reporting phishing is the best defense against the activity. The 5 minutes it takes to report a scam to Paypal is worth every second!
Absolutely. The idea is that if we're all concerned about this sort of thing then we should act on those concerns and at least try to protect one another. Otherwise everyone stands a chance of getting hurt in the end.
For sure the people least well-versed in the internet are the ones who fall victim to this. I think the discussion was swayed a little bit when we were talking about other matters as well. Just the same those of us who are more wary of phishers should be protecting anyone who can fall victim to these type of scams.