Developing your site into yet another directory?
Hi guys and gals. Reading from other forums, I noticed that there has been a flood of new directory sites popping up here and there, especially people would just register a domain and "plug in" directory script eg using phplinkdirectory (apparently I did that too :p).

After which, they will tend to linked several of these newly developed directories together, and wait for about few months to get some google PR. then there comes the time they will post these sites for sales for mid $xx to low $xxx .:eek:

So, has you had any experience in reaping reward applying such strategy too? Well, I am still observing, haven't really push my domain/site for sales yet:p ( the one I developed using php directory script)
No. The only directories I have are niche directories that are actually intended as a link resource for people looking for those niches.

I do have one general directory in the works but have not had the time to get it up yet.
hiya,
there's bunches of directories you can set up.
photo directories, article directories, software directories.

the number one mistake i see among directory owners is that they set it up, do minimal promotion, minimal content and expect it to fly.

very slim chance of it growing.

like any community that you plan to grow, it will require nurturing to build up.
if you have no idea in a particular area, aren't motivated to use elance.com to get someone to run it for you, it's better to drop the idea.
because the incremental income you get may not be worth the time spent.

llegent Wrote:Hi guys and gals. Reading from other forums, I noticed that there has been a flood of new directory sites popping up here and there, especially people would just register a domain and "plug in" directory script eg using phplinkdirectory (apparently I did that too :p).

After which, they will tend to linked several of these newly developed directories together, and wait for about few months to get some google PR. then there comes the time they will post these sites for sales for mid $xx to low $xxx .:eek:

So, has you had any experience in reaping reward applying such strategy too? Well, I am still observing, haven't really push my domain/site for sales yet:p ( the one I developed using php directory script)
emm...I have actually come across someone developed a total of 6 directory sites and linked them together. After which, he patiently waited for about 3months for the link to get "felt" by major SE, and has actually gain some google PR of 1 to 3 among these directories.

After which, he sold it thru ebay for more than USD250 as a bundled package.Rolleyes Well, the cost of the domain is only about USD60 (roughly USD10 each for easy calculation). So the return rate is like 4times.

What if there are more??
That is crazy someone would pay that much for those low pr directories. Good for your friend, but it would cost very little to set them up and pr3 is not hard to get. Almost any sites with a few links will hit PR3.
Hi guys and gals,
Discussing further on directory sites, have anyone having experience in Paid Directory Site?? Learning from other seniors, I noticed that there is still some demands in such paid directory listing segment.

How would you actually able to enjoy some rewards in offering paid directory listing service? WOuld you also have monthly recurring charges for the listing?? Or only 1time charges?
i guess if i were to build a directory, i'd want to have it generate steady monthly income.

i heard that slashdot.org rakes in hundreds of thousands a month in adsense.

building 6 directories in 3mths and making $200.
that works out to $70 per month?

i think you can do much better than that.
you might get $70 from selling one product off clickbank.
and to sell 5-10 pieces each month isn't difficulty if you're actively focused on it.
Speaking as a surfer, directory sites have become like junkmail to me. I get extremely annoyed when I click on what looks like a good search return and it winds up being a directory. The only time I like directories is when they actually offer some additional value, like descriptions or reviews of the sites.
Hi Paula62,
Quote:The only time I like directories is when they actually offer some additional value, like descriptions or reviews of the sites.
Thanks for your pointer!! This is useful for me...I have just completed 2directory sites this month. Both are having the features that you mentioned. They also have thumbnail available for visitors to get "preview" of the sites before they visit the actual site.

I am continuing to work on other sites. till then...CHEERS!!
Also, the one directory site I attempted once was a pain to get set up. I think to do it justice, one would need to do a lot more research than I had time for, to have the quality I was aiming for.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Amount of ads on a site Shortie861 0 2,456 02-28-2016, 02:24 PM
Last Post: Shortie861
  Developing a forum domain? agent_orange 31 20,561 12-31-2012, 08:09 AM
Last Post: vckc4ever
  Developing your domains? llegent 19 12,497 05-24-2012, 07:32 AM
Last Post: tomorrows
  Why my Joomla site slow? shakemelikeapig 2 3,512 03-30-2012, 01:19 PM
Last Post: cocal10
  who would buy a developed site and why? Spex 5 5,195 06-29-2010, 08:02 AM
Last Post: piero0074u
  developing domains followyourbliss 21 13,648 12-15-2008, 07:04 PM
Last Post: tunnelvision
  How to add a blog to a site? justontime 18 11,021 05-07-2008, 11:27 AM
Last Post: justontime
  How often do you use photos on your site? berlinlife06 7 6,125 11-01-2007, 05:27 PM
Last Post: berlinlife06
  Web Directory with Traffic. stewmath 0 3,483 08-25-2007, 02:32 PM
Last Post: stewmath
  How do you monetize a site for Adsense domaindare 0 3,397 05-10-2007, 12:54 PM
Last Post: domaindare